From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I know which package needs to upgrade without using emerge --sync?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:56:34
1 On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:46:42 -0500, Fabio wrote:
2
3 > Well, when I started with Gentoo Linux almost a year ago, I emerged
4 > --sync more than twice per week. I never experimented any damage or
5 > error.
6
7 I have a system here that rsyncs with three other computers every hour
8 and the disk is still good after several years, so the traffic
9 from a paltry portage sync should do nothing but give the disk a
10 little healthy exercise.
11
12 > However, I do not advise people to do it so frequently just
13 > because they will not find updated versions of their favorite packages
14 > as often as I thought initially.
15
16 Unless they run a ~ARCH system, when packages are updated far more
17 frequently.
18
19 > Here is a suggestion to have painless updates:
20 >
21 > emerge --sync
22 > emerge --update --deep world
23
24 I would add --ask the the latter command to further reduce the chance of
25 pain. Replacing a week or two's worth of packages without even checking
26 to see whether anything important is going to be touched is asking for
27 trouble.
31 Neil Bothwick
32
33 Borg -- James Borg -- licensed to assimilate.