From: Fabio <facorread@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I know which package needs to upgrade without using emerge --sync?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:00:39
1 Well, when I started with Gentoo Linux almost a year ago, I emerged
2 --sync more than twice per week. I never experimented any damage or
3 error. However, I do not advise people to do it so frequently just
4 because they will not find updated versions of their favorite packages
5 as often as I thought initially. Today I emerge --sync once every
6 week.
7
8 Now I advise people to keep their systems synced at least once a
9 month, not because their machine necessarily needs to, but because
10 after much time with no emerging --sync, you'd see your computers
11 spending one or two days downloading and compiling the updated
12 packages, and that is really annoying.
13
14 Here is a suggestion to have painless updates:
15
16 emerge --sync
17 emerge --update --deep world
18
19 the --deep flag will ensure a throughly revision of dependencies.
20
21 > How can I know whether I really need a sync and upgrade my system if a new kernel or glibc is released?
22
23 There are several guidelines no one really invented, but may be handy:
24 o Whenever you find a bug in your favorite programs, there will be a
25 big chance they are fixed in the latest versions;
26 o Whenever you navigate a forum or post in a mailing list asking for
27 help with your favorite programs, there is a low-to-moderate chance
28 you get the answer "That only works with version x.x.x or above" or so
29 o From time to time, new programs are added to the Portage tree and
30 someday you will find yourself wanting to give a try to a program you
31 do not have in your machines' tree.
32 o If you need to have your machine secured against vulnerabilities,
33 you definitely need to emerge --sync every two weeks at least.
34 o When a new kernel version is released, there is no need to update
35 everything. Actually, what I remember is that I just emerge the new
36 kernel version, compile and reboot.
37 o When a new glibc version is released, there is a number of packages
38 directly depending on it being updated, but no so many. So this one is
39 not really a guideline.
40
41 Sascha's method is easier. Credits to her.
42
43 Sincerely,
46 Fabio A. Correa D.
47
48 Physics Dept, Universidad Nacional, Bogota, Colombia
49 facorread@×××××.com
50 ffaaccdd@××××××××.uk facorread@××××××××.co
51 My webpage and OpenPGP key at http://facorread.150m.com
52 My alexandria.cc address is not available anymore.
53 --
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list