From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I know which package needs to upgrade without using emerge --sync?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:22:22
1 On Friday 13 April 2007 17:46:42 Fabio wrote:
2 > Now I advise people to keep their systems synced at least once a
3 > month, not because their machine necessarily needs to, but because
4 > after much time with no emerging --sync, you'd see your computers
5 > spending one or two days downloading and compiling the updated
6 > packages, and that is really annoying.
7
8 Policy says that for a package to be removed from the tree it needs to be in
9 package.mask for 30 days. Therefore if you sync less often than every 30 days
10 you risk that a package you are using gets removed without you ever seeing
11 the masking (and later removal) reason.
14 Bo Andresen