From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reinstall
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 11:07:11
1 On Wednesday, 11 May 2022 10:57:03 BST Francisco Ares wrote:
2 > Hello
3 >
4 > After a main HD failure, I'll have to reinstall Gentoo from almost zero - I
5 > have a full and recent copy of the /etc directory and the file
6 > /var/lib/portage/world in a secondary HD (along many personal backups).
7 >
8 > Installation basics done, now it is time for an emerge world.
9 >
10 > Although the emerge lists is as huge as expected, it doesn't even start,
11 > portage says there are cyclic USE flags that I should avoid at the first
12 > moment, but may restore afterwards.
13 >
14 > But it doesn't say which are those USE flags that block each other.
15 >
16 > Is there any way to find those better than brute force?
17 >
18 > By the way, I also have a copy of all binary packages (I always use the -b
19 > flag while emerging any package) in that second disk. But that didn't help
20 > so far, even trying to use the -K flag. I thought on un-tar'ing those
21 > binary packages by hand, but portage will be unaware of this, not knowing
22 > the packages are installed.
23 >
24 > Any hint will be greatly appreciated!
25 >
26 > Thanks
27 >
28 > Francisco
29
30 Try emerging @system first and see if this succeeds. I recall something
31 similar on a recent fresh (re)installation, but the USE flags causing the
32 circular block were reported in the emerge output, so I was able to unset and
33 reset them at the time.