From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 07:32:11
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 23:46 on Wednesday 15 December 2010, Mark
2 Knecht did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
5 wrote:
6 > > Apparently, though unproven, at 23:02 on Wednesday 15 December 2010,
7 > > Volker
8 > >
9 > > Armin Hemmann did opine thusly:
10 > >> and where do you get that internal ports can't do hotplug?
11 > >
12 > > He never said that. Here's what he did say:
13 > >
14 > > 1) Internal SATA drives are at the end of a single cable and don't
15 > > require hot-plugging logic be built into the SATA port driver on the
16 > > SATA controller because they are always powered up. (They are inside
17 > > the case)
20 > > "don't require" != "can't do"
21 >
22 > Thank you Alan.
23
24 You're welcome. This raises an interesting question - hotplugging isn't
25 mandated but it is implemented widely. How widespread is it? Eg can we
26 reasonably assume a recent motherboard probably does support it?
27
28 I thinking of USB daisy chaining - it's possible but hardly ever used, so it
29 might as well not even be in the spec at all
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com