From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:31:14
1 On Thursday 16 December 2010 09:31:34 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 23:46 on Wednesday 15 December 2010, Mark
3 >
4 > Knecht did opine thusly:
5 > > On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
6 >
7 > wrote:
8 > > > Apparently, though unproven, at 23:02 on Wednesday 15 December 2010,
9 > > > Volker
10 > > >
11 > > > Armin Hemmann did opine thusly:
12 > > >> and where do you get that internal ports can't do hotplug?
13 > > >
14 > > > He never said that. Here's what he did say:
15 > > >
16 > > > 1) Internal SATA drives are at the end of a single cable and don't
17 > > > require hot-plugging logic be built into the SATA port driver on the
18 > > > SATA controller because they are always powered up. (They are inside
19 > > > the case)
20 > > >
21 > > >
22 > > > "don't require" != "can't do"
23 > >
24 > > Thank you Alan.
25 >
26 > You're welcome. This raises an interesting question - hotplugging isn't
27 > mandated but it is implemented widely. How widespread is it? Eg can we
28 > reasonably assume a recent motherboard probably does support it?
29 >
30 > I thinking of USB daisy chaining - it's possible but hardly ever used, so it
31 > might as well not even be in the spec at all
32
33 again, the hardware to hotplug is built into every sata connector. What is
34 left is the controller not getting confused and the driver.
35
36 AHCI as a standard says yes to hoplugging. So as long as you use a AHCI
37 compliant sata controller you can hotplug.