From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: 'Best' Desktop Environment
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 00:19:25
1 On Jun 17, 2012 11:57 PM, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
4 > > So, while we're meta-discussing Linus' rant on Gnome3, here's an article
5 > > from TechRadar exploring the usability of the leading Linux desktop
6 > > environments.
9 http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/whats-the-best-linux-desktop-environment-1045280
10 > >
11 > > Summary: Try the latest KDE. You might get pleasantly surprised.
12 >
13 > In my humble opinion, you should use whatever you actually like. You
14 > don't like GNOME? Then don't use it; and if you used it before and
15 > don't like the new version, either get involver to get it "fixed" (for
16 > whatever defintion of "fixed" you want), fork it (although maybe you
17 > should first try Unity, MATE, or Cinnamon before), or go to another
18 > desktop.
19 >
20 > I like GNOME 3, therefore I use it. I like systemd, therefore I use
21 > it. I like Emacs, therefore I use it. If someone else wants to use
22 > KDE, OpenRC, and Vim, it's none of my business. To each his own.
23 >
24 > There is no "best" desktop environment. There are only preferences.
27 Agree. Which is why I wrote the word "Best" between single quotes. The
28 whole sentence itself comes from the original title of the article; the
29 single quotes are mine.
30
31 Rgds,