From: Paige Thompson <erratic@××××××××××.sx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 18:19:49
1 On 11/21/14 07:31, Marc Stürmer wrote:
2 > Am 21.11.2014 um 08:17 schrieb Paige Thompson:
3 >
4 >> I just read an article that says systemd is taking over linux and linux
5 >> is not linux anymore:
6 >> http://blog.lusis.org/blog/2014/11/20/systemd-redux/
7 >>
8 >> I kinda have to agree which is partially why I'm not using it. Will
9 >> Gentoo have any plans of forcing its users to move to systemd or will I
10 >> always (such as its always roughly been) have the option of using init
11 >> and openrc as it is now? I personally have no reasons currently to
12 >
13 > You've been on this list for surely long enough to know, that systemd
14 > will always be optional for Gentoo users with Openrc not going away
15 > too soon as the default.
16 >
17 Being on the list hasn't done me any favors in terms of knowing
18 architectural plans are to be made. I personally want to believe systemd
19 will always be optional but I wouldn't rely on that since it's not my
20 call but I understand that it would have to be fairly mutual amongst
21 other maintainers. I was hoping this e-mail would find some of those
22 people.
23
24 I remember a time when devfs support was dropped from Gentoo in favor of
25 udev. I don't remember why but it seems udev is on everything now..
26 sound familiar? It wasn't that big of a switch for me.. I think there
27 might have been maybe one or two packages that it affected that I cared
28 about. On the other hand, today I am a bit more saavy than back then and
29 I don't really feel like systemd offers anything that I want and it
30 seems to be followed by a lot of security problems that I don't need.
31
32 I don't want to perpetuate ignorance, so correct me if I'm wrong. It
33 seems like for me specifically to switch to systemd would mean to take
34 on a lot more complexity than I need if I'm already happy with what I've
35 got? Asides from where systemd is useful outside of cgroups for
36 virtualization I fail to understand how process accounting is useful in
37 any other context except for "multi-user" environments--public shell
38 servers? I guess I'll have to do some more reading to understand.
39
40 It's just nice to know what I have to look forward to in advance. I have
41 a friend who seems certain that systemd is inevitable despite being
42 satisfied with openrc. Not trying to troll or force ignorant/zealous
43 issues.
44
45 Thanks
46