From: Ted Ozolins <ted1@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [Very OT] - Kill-A-Watt (240V Version) to measure my Gentoo Server Power Usage
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 14:37:16
1 Remy Blank wrote:
2
3 >Iain Buchanan wrote:
6 >>um, I just came across a problem - it won't work with an AC power cord,
7 >>because you have active and neutral both going through the clamp in
8 >>opposite directions, hence they'll cancel each other out. You need only
9 >>the active going through the clamp...
13 >Or only the neutral. It doesn't matter, actually.
17 >>But "how it works" (with AC) is something like this: AC produces a
18 >>field around the wire as it "flows". This field in turn will induce a
19 >>current in a wire placed close to it. Loop a wire (transducer) around
20 >>another wire (AC current flow), and you can inference the change in
21 >>current in the original wire by measuring the current flow in the loop.
22 >>
23 >>It doesn't work with DC, as DC doesn't create a field (at least, not
24 >>when it's steady. When switching on and off a DC device, you'll still
25 >>get a change in current)
26 >>
27 >>IANAE(lectrician), so this might be complete bunkum, but that's how I
28 >>remember it anyway.
32 >You almost got it. Actually, it's not necessary that the current be AC:
33 >even a DC current produces a magnetic field around the conductor (albeit
34 >a DC field). The clamp is a ferromagnetic ring that "concentrates" the
35 >magnetic field, and it is interrupted at one location by a hall-effect
36 >sensor that measures the magnetic field. The current can be calculated
37 >from the magnetic field intensity and the diameter of the clamp ring.
38 >
39 >-- Remy
42 >Remove underscore and suffix in reply address for a timely response.
46 Well you almost got it right. The clamp is just a basic transformer
47 being the secondary winding. Since AC current flow changes both in
48 amplitude and direction, induces a current flow in the secondary
49 winding, "the clamp". The current is then rectified and the measurement
50 then is displayed on a meter. I've used high voltage transformers from
51 old monitors to monitor and trigger alarms signaling excessive current
52 change. Basically just a home made clamp.
53
54 Cheers.
57 Ted Ozolins(VE7TVO)
58 Westbank, B. C