From: Remy Blank <remy.blank_asps@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [Very OT] - Kill-A-Watt (240V Version) to measure my Gentoo Server Power Usage
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:00:50
1 Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > um, I just came across a problem - it won't work with an AC power cord,
3 > because you have active and neutral both going through the clamp in
4 > opposite directions, hence they'll cancel each other out. You need only
5 > the active going through the clamp...
6
7 Or only the neutral. It doesn't matter, actually.
8
9 > But "how it works" (with AC) is something like this: AC produces a
10 > field around the wire as it "flows". This field in turn will induce a
11 > current in a wire placed close to it. Loop a wire (transducer) around
12 > another wire (AC current flow), and you can inference the change in
13 > current in the original wire by measuring the current flow in the loop.
14 >
15 > It doesn't work with DC, as DC doesn't create a field (at least, not
16 > when it's steady. When switching on and off a DC device, you'll still
17 > get a change in current)
18 >
19 > IANAE(lectrician), so this might be complete bunkum, but that's how I
20 > remember it anyway.
21
22 You almost got it. Actually, it's not necessary that the current be AC:
23 even a DC current produces a magnetic field around the conductor (albeit
24 a DC field). The clamp is a ferromagnetic ring that "concentrates" the
25 magnetic field, and it is interrupted at one location by a hall-effect
26 sensor that measures the magnetic field. The current can be calculated
27 from the magnetic field intensity and the diameter of the clamp ring.
28
29 -- Remy
32 Remove underscore and suffix in reply address for a timely response.
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list