From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel ricing
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 09:12:16
1 On 24/10/2013 10:58, Adam Carter wrote:
2 > The CFLAGs used when building the kernel are set in the Makefile;
3 > # grep HOSTCFLAGS /usr/src/linux/Makefile
4 > HOSTCFLAGS = -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
5 > -fomit-frame-pointer
6 >
7 > To build with other flags you set CFLAGS_KERNEL, so i've added a
8 > suitable -march to the standard ones for my system;
9 > export CFLAGS_KERNEL=" -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes
10 > -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -march=amdfam10"
11 >
12 > then make, install, reboot. In my case the riced kernel is the same size
13 > as the regular one, but the md5 is different. Its been up for an hour
14 > with no obvious issues, and does seem snappier, but of course my brain
15 > is full of cognitive bias. Has anyone else played with this? Any good or
16 > bad outcomes?
20 James is the boy to answer up here. He'll give you a decent answer sans
21 cognitive bias.
22
23 I see all you've done is specify -march; what does the build system
24 build for without that setting?
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com