From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] K8M800 via video card support
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:03:52
1 I had one of this Via cards, different than yours, it was a KM400, but
2 they're all Unychrome family (still have it onboard, only disabled),
3 and it was a hell of a time getting it to work, in fact, I had to get
4 an unstable Xorg, compile some stuff myself and getting a new opengl
5 driver to copy over the old one.
6
7 Of course, now things are better, the Xorg version now unmasked if I'm
8 not mistaken offers support for this card, and you should have less
9 problems making it work, I can tell you it works, it has direct
10 rendering and I was able to configure it with some work and lots of
11 search (specially hard because I only had this machine and all search
12 was done using links in text mode).
13
14 Sincerely, on of the best things I've done was getting my NVidia video
15 card, and NForce chipset is way better than VIA, but that's IMHO,
16 invest more money and get a better mobo.
17