From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: flag icu
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 19:10:32
1 On 08/13/18 13:17, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 13/08/18 17:31, james wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> Q1} In my attempts to minimize flag settings, why do I need the flag
6 >> "icu" ?
7 >>
8 >> + - icu�� Enable ICU (Internationalization Components for Unicode)
9 >> ������� support, using dev-libs/icu
10 >
11 > Depends on the software. If my software uses ICU for Unicode-related
12 > stuff, I might provide a way to disable Unicode support, or have a
13 > half-assed custom implementation that doesn't need ICU but is slower
14 > and/or doesn't support all Unicode features.
15
16 yep, no such replacement (yet) but up for suggestions, if anything
17 already exist. What you state is exactly the point, I'm a bit shy
18 on system wide removal of this flag, without a much deeper understanding
19 of it's potential effects, which may be catastrophic. I'm not sure how
20 to dissect ICU (dev-libs/icu) and the 'icu' flag. What the heck oare
21 'international components' ?
22
23 I get the universal ascii character set, that fine. but is that all it
24 is or is there more baggage strictly not necessary ?
25
26 What is Unicode?
27 Unicode provides a unique number for every character, no matter what the
28 platform, no matter what the program, no matter what the language. I
29 have no need to support chineese or any other language other that
30 english (AM or EN). Does UTF-8 get rid of significant bloat?
31
32 Currently I have::
33
34 # locale -a
35 C
36 POSIX
37 en_US
38 en_US.iso88591
39 en_US.utf8
42 Perhaps I've read 'too much' and should just run with icu as a global flag?
46 > The default USE flags are supposed to reflect the recommended way to
47 > build the various software packages, either as recommended by upstream
48 > or determined by the package maintainers.
49 >
50 > Unfortunately, most packages don't document their USE flags in their
51 > metadata, so the user has to go hunting for an explanation for each
52 > package. But even if each package explained what a USE flag actually
53 > means for that package, it would be borderline impossible to go through
54 > each every package of a system to verify whether you lose something
55 > important or not when you change a USE flag.
58 Agreed with all you state. I do not intend to do this, except for those
59 flags set in the relevant @system (package) listing.
60
61 Everything else can be part of a 'framework' that is additive/removable
62 on the HPC cluster, dynamically. Since these extra frameworks are
63 already often 'huge' it matters only that all of those packages in a
64 framework, work as needed.
67 But optimizing the engine underneath, across the cluster, it's very
68 important to have things minimized. And since the clusters are
69 'loosely coupled' many different processors and architectures can
70 participate. The smaller the critical package list is and the subsequent
71 flags, the easier the cluster will be to boot/run/optimize/maintain.
72 Thus the requirement for the @system package listings with flags per
73 many arches are tremendously beneficial to my research and testing.
74 Yes, I do need to robustly examine not only the @system package list,
75 but each and every flag.
78 I pretty much agree with your sentiments, even get a bit of a chuckle as
79 one of the few that has been 86'd off both gentoo-user and gentoo-dev,
80 but wanting to stay focused on the needs of my HPC semantics.
83 James