From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: flag icu
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 17:17:20
1 On 13/08/18 17:31, james wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Q1} In my attempts to minimize flag settings, why do I need the flag "icu" ?
5 >
6 > + - icu Enable ICU (Internationalization Components for Unicode)
7 > support, using dev-libs/icu
8
9 Depends on the software. If my software uses ICU for Unicode-related
10 stuff, I might provide a way to disable Unicode support, or have a
11 half-assed custom implementation that doesn't need ICU but is slower
12 and/or doesn't support all Unicode features.
13
14 The default USE flags are supposed to reflect the recommended way to
15 build the various software packages, either as recommended by upstream
16 or determined by the package maintainers.
17
18 Unfortunately, most packages don't document their USE flags in their
19 metadata, so the user has to go hunting for an explanation for each
20 package. But even if each package explained what a USE flag actually
21 means for that package, it would be borderline impossible to go through
22 each every package of a system to verify whether you lose something
23 important or not when you change a USE flag.