From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: excess x11 drivers
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 20:54:13
1 "Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto" <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > I am not only concerned about the problem reported in this thread; I
4 > also want to give opinion on his larger "update a very outdated
5 > system" task.
6
7 Just for the record... I seem to have gotten things under control and
8 did set VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia".
9
10 I ran into a problem somewhere in the compile of the x11 drivers that
11 brought up where some file (I didn't keep the name) was not available
12 in the most recent kernel sources.
13
14 Rather than keep pounding away, I backed off to
15 uname -r
16 2.6.25-gentoo-r9
17
18 I didn't test any of the releases in between, since I was pretty sure
19 something in the ...25 series would work since my last kernel (prior
20 to updating to ...27* was ..25-r6.
21
22 Those sources appear to supply everthing needed. I also discovered
23 that none of the kernel based NVIDIA modules were necessary.
24
25 And finally as advised here in another thread recently I ran
26 --depclean after successful update @system @world and many of those
27 x11-drivers were dumped.
28
29 Now I get a clean slate there:
30
31 $ eix -Ic |grep x11-driver
32 [I] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers [...]
33 [I] x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev [...]
34 [I] x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard [...]
35 [I] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse [...]
36
37 And X works fine.
38
39 I don't tax a video card much in my usage of linux. It's my main
40 desktop but my semi-professional video-editing is all done on windowsXP
41 machines for access to the first rate adobe tools.
42
43 Opening the occasional graphics file in mail is about it on my gentoo
44 desktop.
45
46 Many thanks to all for the generous help.
47
48 I guess I'll have to take the final step and setup some cron based
49 update method that happens a lot more frequently...