From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: excess x11 drivers
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 22:50:23
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > "Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto" <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com> writes:
5 >> I am not only concerned about the problem reported in this thread; I
6 >> also want to give opinion on his larger "update a very outdated
7 >> system" task.
10 > Just for the record... I seem to have gotten things under control and
11 > did set VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia".
12 >
13 > I ran into a problem somewhere in the compile of the x11 drivers that
14 > brought up where some file (I didn't keep the name) was not available
15 > in the most recent kernel sources.
16 >
17 > Rather than keep pounding away, I backed off to
18 > uname -r
19 > 2.6.25-gentoo-r9
20 >
21 > I didn't test any of the releases in between, since I was pretty sure
22 > something in the ...25 series would work since my last kernel (prior
23 > to updating to ...27* was ..25-r6.
24 >
25 > Those sources appear to supply everthing needed. I also discovered
26 > that none of the kernel based NVIDIA modules were necessary.
27 >
28 > And finally as advised here in another thread recently I ran
29 > --depclean after successful update @system @world and many of those
30 > x11-drivers were dumped.
31 >
32 > Now I get a clean slate there:
33 >
34 > $ eix -Ic |grep x11-driver
35 > [I] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers [...]
36 > [I] x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev [...]
37 > [I] x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard [...]
38 > [I] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse [...]
39 >
40 > And X works fine.
41 >
42 > I don't tax a video card much in my usage of linux. It's my main
43 > desktop but my semi-professional video-editing is all done on windowsXP
44 > machines for access to the first rate adobe tools.
45 >
46 > Opening the occasional graphics file in mail is about it on my gentoo
47 > desktop.
48 >
49 > Many thanks to all for the generous help.
50 >
51 > I guess I'll have to take the final step and setup some cron based
52 > update method that happens a lot more frequently...
58 I'm not sure how new to Linux you are but just a couple observations
59 about kernels and such. Sometimes I try newer kernels and something
60 doesn't work right. It may not be video related but just always keep
61 your old kernel and their source code around until you have well tested
62 the new one. Also, always feel free to test a new kernel when you have
63 trouble especially if the kernel can affect what you are installing.
64 Something concerning hardware for the most part. Just for future
65 information. May come in handy someday.
66
67 Otherwise, glad you got it going.
68
69 Dale