From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] LVM and moving things around
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 13:59:14
1 >-----Original Message-----
2 >From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
3 >Sent: Monday, April 4, 2022 4:37 PM
4 >To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 >Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM and moving things around
8 >One thing that annoys me, it trying to use swap. I don't want to disable it because on occasion Firefox goes nuts and starting hogging memory really bad. I have swappiness set to like 5 or something which means it shouldn't use it but when using rsync, it creeps some in. When it does, that results in some slowness. I have a little script thing that clears all that but still, I may set it to 3 or maybe 2 for a bit. Me ponders the thought.
9 >
10 >I'm making progress. Feel sorry for those hard drives tho. ;-)
11 >
12 >Dale
13 >
18 I'm told that you can use cgroups for dealing with that kind of thing such that, for example, only Firefox is allowed to be swapped. I haven't had time to dig into it, but it seems like a useful tool.
19
20 Also, the compressed swap and zram swap devices with backing stores offer a fairly significant boost to the speed of swap so long as the data being swapped is compressible.
21
22 LMP