From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM and moving things around
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 15:10:17
1 On 05/04/2022 14:58, Laurence Perkins wrote:
2 >
3 >> -----Original Message-----
4 >> From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
5 >> Sent: Monday, April 4, 2022 4:37 PM
6 >> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM and moving things around
10 >> One thing that annoys me, it trying to use swap. I don't want to disable it because on occasion Firefox goes nuts and starting hogging memory really bad. I have swappiness set to like 5 or something which means it shouldn't use it but when using rsync, it creeps some in. When it does, that results in some slowness. I have a little script thing that clears all that but still, I may set it to 3 or maybe 2 for a bit. Me ponders the thought.
11 >>
12 >> I'm making progress. Feel sorry for those hard drives tho. ;-)
13 >>
14 >> Dale
15 >>
16 >> :-) :-)
20 > I'm told that you can use cgroups for dealing with that kind of thing such that, for example, only Firefox is allowed to be swapped. I haven't had time to dig into it, but it seems like a useful tool.
21 >
22 > Also, the compressed swap and zram swap devices with backing stores offer a fairly significant boost to the speed of swap so long as the data being swapped is compressible.
23 >
24 I don't know how you take advantage of it, but linux by default caches
25 disk i/o. You can tell it to "don't cache" and apparently it makes a
26 major difference. Given that rsync reads once and then never uses it
27 again, you don't want it cached.
28
29 I guess that would improve things for you massively if you could use it.
30
31 Cheers,
32 Wol