From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Documentation Index
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 05:07:54
1 On 12/30/06, David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 22:20:18 -0500
3 > Jerry McBride wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Saturday 30 December 2006 19:03, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
6 > > > There's a lot of HTML documentation on my computer, but it's
7 > > > wonderfully hard to find and use compared to man pages
8 > > > because it's not indexed.
9 > > >
10 > > > So I started building a Perl script to create a top-level
11 > > > HTML index page automatically from the .html files it
12 > > > finds lying around. I started with just the contents of
13 > > > /usr/share/doc.
14 > > >
15 > > > Before I go too much farther, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows
16 > > > of an existing product (that is surely more refined than
17 > > > this little starter gizmo I've got so frar) that does the
18 > > > same or similar thing?
19 > > >
20 > > > If not, are there any other places where generally useful
21 > > > HTML might be hiding?
22 > > >
23 > >
24 > > I've been doing a similar project using python. I scan the entire
25 > > filesystem for html, pdf and chm files. Once found, I grab matching
26 > > portage names and build a master html index for use with apache...
27 > >
28 > > Nice to know that someone else has the desire for handy document
31 > I, for one, would be interested in seeing a copy of your script :->
34 If you mean mine, it's so short (so far) that I put it in the original message.
35 If you mean Jerry McBride's, I'd like to see it too.
36
37 Hey, Jerry, wanna make a project team? I woulda done Python if I had
38 thought it was gonna get big. It now seems like that would be a good idea.
39 Care to:
40 1) share your code?
41 2) start a sourceforge project?
42 3) just tantalize us with your results?
43
44 ++ kevin
47 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
48 --