From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Trouble decrypting message from firefox ebuild
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:31:05
1 On Monday 19 January 2009 18:59:36 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2009-01-19, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> On 2009-01-18, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >>>>>> All the packages built against mozilla-firefox won't
6 > >>>>>> compile, if after installing firefox 3.0 you get some
7 > >>>>>> blockers, please add 'xulrunner' to your USE-flags.
8 > >>>>>>
9 > >>>>>> Does anybody have idea what the above sentence is trying to say?
10 > >>>>>
11 > >>>>> It's saying that if you use firefox -3*, then you should
12 > >>>>> remove "firefox" from your USE and add "xulrunner" instead.
13 > >>>>> This way, nothing in the tree will try to pull in firefox-2*
14 > >>>>> (which obviously conflicts with firefox-3*).
15 > >>>>
16 > >>>> Wow. I'm not doubting that what you say is true, but how
17 > >>>> anybody was supposed to get that from the emerge message is
18 > >>>> beyond me.
19 > >>>>
20 > >>>>> There have been 4 earlier threads on this very topic in the
21 > >>>>> last fortnight. For more details, please check the recent
22 > >>>>> archives (rehashing the same thing over and over is getting
23 > >>>>> really tedious)
24 > >>>>
25 > >>>> Sort of makes you wonder if the message is a bit too cryptic,
26 > >>>> eh?
27 > >>>
28 > >>> If I read that message out loud, it sounds suspiciously like a
29 > >>> babelfish translation from Japanese to English. Whatever it
30 > >>> is, the author of the message is certainly not a native
31 > >>> English speaker.
32 > >>>
33 > >>> But the intent is easy to see if you already know how it
34 > >>> works.
35 > >>
36 > >> Yes, once somebody has told you the answer, it's possible to
37 > >> make some sense of the message. But, I stand by my assertion
38 > >> that give just the message very many people are going to figure
39 > >> out that it means you need to replace the "firefox" use flag
40 > >> with the "xulrunner" use flag so that apps will build against
41 > >> firefox-3 instead of trying to build against firefox-2.
42 > >
43 > > Someone should file a bug to have the message changed to something
44 > > clearer.
45 >
46 > I'd be happy to do that. Is the following correct?
47 >
48 > The UI and rendering libraries that were part of the
49 > mozilla-firefox 2.x package have been split from the mozilla
50 > firefox-3.x package and are now in the xulrunner package. In
51 > order for ebuilds to use xulrunner instead of mozilla-firefox
52 > 2.x, the "firefox" USE flag must be replaced by the
53 > "xulrunner" USE flag. Failure to replace the "firefox" USE
54 > flag with the "xulrunner" USE flag will result in portage
55 > requiring mozilla-firefox 2.x which is incompatible with
56 > mozilla-firefox 3.x -- this will block some packages from
57 > building.
58
59 replace
60 "will result in portage requiring mozilla-firefox 2.x"
61 with
62 "will result in portage attempting to merge mozilla-firefox-2.x"
63
64 It's not portage that requires firefox, but some other ebuilds.
65
66 Other than that, the language makes sense and is technically accurate - not
67 too much detail, but enough info to tell the user what to do. You got the
68 intent right - the user does not really have a choice about what to USE if
69 they want ff-3
72 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com