From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Trouble decrypting message from firefox ebuild
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:00:02
1 On 2009-01-19, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 2009-01-18, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>>>> All the packages built against mozilla-firefox won't
6 >>>>>> compile, if after installing firefox 3.0 you get some
7 >>>>>> blockers, please add 'xulrunner' to your USE-flags.
8 >>>>>>
9 >>>>>> Does anybody have idea what the above sentence is trying to say?
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> It's saying that if you use firefox -3*, then you should
12 >>>>> remove "firefox" from your USE and add "xulrunner" instead.
13 >>>>> This way, nothing in the tree will try to pull in firefox-2*
14 >>>>> (which obviously conflicts with firefox-3*).
15 >>>>
16 >>>> Wow. I'm not doubting that what you say is true, but how
17 >>>> anybody was supposed to get that from the emerge message is
18 >>>> beyond me.
19 >>>>
20 >>>>> There have been 4 earlier threads on this very topic in the
21 >>>>> last fortnight. For more details, please check the recent
22 >>>>> archives (rehashing the same thing over and over is getting
23 >>>>> really tedious)
24 >>>>
25 >>>> Sort of makes you wonder if the message is a bit too cryptic,
26 >>>> eh?
27 >>>
28 >>> If I read that message out loud, it sounds suspiciously like a
29 >>> babelfish translation from Japanese to English. Whatever it
30 >>> is, the author of the message is certainly not a native
31 >>> English speaker.
32 >>>
33 >>> But the intent is easy to see if you already know how it
34 >>> works.
35 >>
36 >> Yes, once somebody has told you the answer, it's possible to
37 >> make some sense of the message. But, I stand by my assertion
38 >> that give just the message very many people are going to figure
39 >> out that it means you need to replace the "firefox" use flag
40 >> with the "xulrunner" use flag so that apps will build against
41 >> firefox-3 instead of trying to build against firefox-2.
42 >
43 > Someone should file a bug to have the message changed to something clearer.
44
45 I'd be happy to do that. Is the following correct?
46
47 The UI and rendering libraries that were part of the
48 mozilla-firefox 2.x package have been split from the mozilla
49 firefox-3.x package and are now in the xulrunner package. In
50 order for ebuilds to use xulrunner instead of mozilla-firefox
51 2.x, the "firefox" USE flag must be replaced by the
52 "xulrunner" USE flag. Failure to replace the "firefox" USE
53 flag with the "xulrunner" USE flag will result in portage
54 requiring mozilla-firefox 2.x which is incompatible with
55 mozilla-firefox 3.x -- this will block some packages from
56 building.
59 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Gee, I feel kind of
60 at LIGHT in the head now,
61 visi.com knowing I can't make my
62 satellite dish PAYMENTS!