From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Overclocking CPU causes segmentation fault
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 18:53:52
1 On 23/01/13 19:13, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am 23.01.2013 09:21, schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
3 >> On 23/01/13 03:55, Dale wrote:
4 >>> [...]
5 >>> I tired overclocking once a good while back. It just wasn't worth it.
6 >>
7 >> I've been running a Core 2 Duo from 2.4Ghz to 3.4Ghz for over three
8 >> years. Instead of a new CPU, I only bought a €30 cooler.
9 >>
10 >> Oh, it *was* totally worth it. Mainly for games, where the
11 >> performance difference was really dramatic.
12 >
13 > yeah and all those files with bit flips (not a problem with films or
14 > pics or mp3s....) you don't know about were totally worth it...
15
16 Stability testing is important. If no bit gets flipped after 5 hours of
17 Prime95, one can be confident that the chip can take it. But I never
18 noticed anything. At least git would have picked this up (I'm working
19 on a project with 330k lines of code; a change gets picked up as a
20 difference.)
21
22 But I agree; if I had any hugely important data on my system, I would
23 not have OCed it. I do not consider game saves, email and porn as
24 hugely important :-P The source code *is* important, but I said, it's
25 on a git server and therefore guarded against corruption.