From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local mail delivery agent (MDA) wanted
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 23:36:54
1 I thought the gentoo default mail program is nullmailer? Changed from
2 smtpd(? or something named similar) some time back.  Simple, reasonably
3 versatile and has easy configuration.
4
5 BillK
8 On 12/12/21 21:25, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
9 > Hey list,
10 >
11 > I am looking for an as-simple-as-possible setup for local mail delivery.
12 > What I mean by that is: the mail shall go into /var/spool/mail locally,
13 > which is why I deem it overkill to set up and run a complicated smtpd
14 > daemon with its own config file language.
15 >
16 > At my previous employer we used mda on our Ubuntu-based machines, but this
17 > is not available in Gentoo. It did extactly what I am looking for: receive
18 > mail (most importantly from cron) via pipe and put it right into the spool
19 > file, so I can see a message upon login and read it with mutt. That’s all
20 > I need, so I can get summary reports of zfs snapshots, smartd messages and
21 > so on.
22 >
23 > I was looking through wiki articles, but they all employ the usual beasts
24 > postfix, courier and so on. Do you have any recommendations?
25 >
26 > Much obliged.