From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hacked by association?
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 01:57:25
1 > > Last night my host sent out a message that their database had been
2 > > compromised. I contacted them this morning and it turns out that all
3 > > of their trouble tickets were exposed. I checked my records and
4 > > (stupidly) I had included my root password in an email to them about a
5 > > year ago. I (stupidly) hadn't changed the password since. I've
6 > > changed it now and rebooted the system, but what do you think? Do I
7 > > need to start this thing over?
8 >
9 > equery check sys-process/procps
10 > equery check sys-apps/coreutils
11
12 These check out.
13
14 > Make sure that none of the executable files have changed.
15 >
16 > Also, emerge and run app-forensics/rkhunter
17
18 chkrootkit reports no problems whatsoever which is actually kind of
19 weird as I remember some things being reported last time I ran it, but
20 I looked into them then and they weren't a problem.
21
22 rkhunter reports no problems but it says it couldn't determine the OS
23 so MD5 checks were skipped.
24
25 - Grant
26 --