From: Miika Linnapuomi <mki@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing of wine drives between different users of same machine
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:43:53
1 Sun, 3 Aug 2008 14:37:34 +0800
2 "Mark David Dumlao" <stuffinator@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > After an (in?)convenient crash of a particular operating system which
5 > I have dual-booted with Gentoo for a while; I am going to reinstall
6 > it. My main issue though, for that particular operating system is
7 > that the shared c_drive of different wine users was shared there, and
8 > it annoys me that certain games now need some reinstalling
9 > (fortunately, the save files are in a safe place).
10 >
11 > Well since I'm going to go and do something a bit tedious anyway, I
12 > might as well do it right.
13 >
14 > I was wondering what strategies you guys use for sharing wine drives
15 > between different users. I have 3 kids using the same box for games;
16 > wine was one of the main features of using that box. I have
17 > previously done some of the following:
18 > (1) Everyone's .wine -> c:\wine (ntfs drive)
19 > which makes some sense, but the bad thing is that usernames are
20 > preserved across users.
21 > (2) Everyone's c_drive -> c:\wine (ntfs drive)
22 > Which also makes some sense, but I wonder if registry issues that are
23 > user specific point to the wrong places.
24 > (3) Everyone's program files -> c:\wine (ntfs drive)
25 > Which does solve the issue of saving space; but the problem is that
26 > registry entries from installing programs don't get shared.
27 >
28 > What's the proper way to multi-seat wine to make it behave like a
29 > multi-user Windows environment?
32 Making the users 'sudo wine' to a specific user might work nicely, or
33 setuid wine to always run as that user. Not really multi-user, and
34 I haven't actually tried either so there might be issues...
35
36 Miika