From: Mark David Dumlao <stuffinator@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Sharing of wine drives between different users of same machine
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 06:37:44
1 After an (in?)convenient crash of a particular operating system which I have
2 dual-booted with Gentoo for a while; I am going to reinstall it. My main
3 issue though, for that particular operating system is that the shared
4 c_drive of different wine users was shared there, and it annoys me that
5 certain games now need some reinstalling (fortunately, the save files are in
6 a safe place).
7
8 Well since I'm going to go and do something a bit tedious anyway, I might as
9 well do it right.
10
11 I was wondering what strategies you guys use for sharing wine drives between
12 different users. I have 3 kids using the same box for games; wine was one of
13 the main features of using that box. I have previously done some of the
14 following:
15 (1) Everyone's .wine -> c:\wine (ntfs drive)
16 which makes some sense, but the bad thing is that usernames are preserved
17 across users.
18 (2) Everyone's c_drive -> c:\wine (ntfs drive)
19 Which also makes some sense, but I wonder if registry issues that are user
20 specific point to the wrong places.
21 (3) Everyone's program files -> c:\wine (ntfs drive)
22 Which does solve the issue of saving space; but the problem is that registry
23 entries from installing programs don't get shared.
24
25 What's the proper way to multi-seat wine to make it behave like a multi-user
26 Windows environment?