From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading (profiles, too)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 22:20:32
1 Michael Jones wrote:
4 > On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 2:46 PM <n952162@×××.de
5 > <mailto:n952162@×××.de>> wrote:
6 >
7 > Hi,
8 >
9 > I'm currently at 4.14.65-gentoo and I understand my cheap hp
10 > laptop's amdgpu could finally get better support if I upgrade to
11 > 4.16 or 4.17.1.
12 > Can I just do that, or would it be better (or even possible) to go
13 > in smaller increments?
14 >
15 > Also, something's always complaining to me about my profile,
16 > default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop, being out-of-date.  Should I
17 > upgrade to 17 at the same time?  I've seen lots about the
18 > differences between different types of profiles but not about the
19 > differences between different versions of a profile type.  What's
20 > different?
21 >
22 > Thanks for any thoughts.
25 > You can change kernel versions in any way you see fit. You're unlikely
26 > to run into any significant issues from upgrading by 2 or 3 releases
27 > at once.
28
29 I've done upgrades that skip quite a ways using make oldconfig.  I've
30 never had any issues.  If it were me, I'd just make the jump but make
31 sure to keep the old kernel around just in case something doesn't work.
32 At least that way one can boot it and fix it.
36 > My personal recommendation is to conduct the profile update as a
37 > separate task from the kernel update, simply because they are not
38 > really related to each other.
41 I would do them separately as well.  I'm not sure if it matters but I
42 might would do the profile upgrade first.  I'm not sure why but my brain
43 is making me think that may be a better way.  Generally, profile changes
44 don't change a whole lot.  Also, I think 17.1 is coming soon and 17.0
45 will be leaving.  If one feels safe doing it, it may be worth going
46 straight to 17.1.  That way one wouldn't have to do the same thing again
47 soon-ish.  It's marked as dev but this is what I'd do.  Switch to the
48 new17.1 profile, run emerge -puDN world and see if the changes look OK.
49 If you don't like or it breaks something, switch to 17.0 and run emerge
50 -puDN world and see what it looks like.  Pick the one that you feel
51 safest with.  Just keep in mind, 17.1 is coming at some point.
52
53 Just my thoughts.
54
55 Dale