From: Michael Jones <gentoo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading (profiles, too)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 20:27:24
1 On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 2:46 PM <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I'm currently at 4.14.65-gentoo and I understand my cheap hp laptop's
6 > amdgpu could finally get better support if I upgrade to 4.16 or 4.17.1.
7 > Can I just do that, or would it be better (or even possible) to go in
8 > smaller increments?
9 >
10 > Also, something's always complaining to me about my profile,
11 > default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop, being out-of-date. Should I upgrade to
12 > 17 at the same time? I've seen lots about the differences between
13 > different types of profiles but not about the differences between different
14 > versions of a profile type. What's different?
15 >
16 > Thanks for any thoughts.
19 You can change kernel versions in any way you see fit. You're unlikely to
20 run into any significant issues from upgrading by 2 or 3 releases at once.
21
22 My personal recommendation is to conduct the profile update as a separate
23 task from the kernel update, simply because they are not really related to
24 each other.