From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ncurses is gone
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 22:43:01
1 On 07/06/2009 01:21 PM, Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > Ncurses has disappeared, and the system is dead. I think it is
3 > unrecoverable. I had hoped to use a binary package, but for now,
4 > since I shut the machine down, it will not boot.
5 >
6 > Is this hopeless? It happened during an emerge -uDvNa world
7
8 It's never hopeless unless the hard disk is damaged, e.g. from a
9 head crash or similar catastrophe. The important thing is to avoid
10 trying random things without knowing what you're doing. You can
11 turn a simple recovery into a hopeless mess that way.
12
13 I find that I can usually get myself out of a 'hopeless' mess just
14 by downloading a live gentoo boot CD and using that to install a
15 recent gentoo snapshot. You need a second (working) computer to
16 do that, of course. (Everyone should have as many computers as
17 possible for exactly that reason :o)
18
19 Meanwhile, more info would help, as the others have already said.