From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Regular v Ordinary
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 09:09:20
1 On Wednesday 30 Apr 2014 14:00:40 godzil wrote:
2
3 > Yes that true, lots of English words came from old French, and funnily
4 > some word that were "lost" goes back into French :)
5 > But I don't agree, on the origin of "Old English" it is more a
6 > germano-celtic language than a latino-greek one. French clearly come
7 > from Latin and Old Greek, like Spanish or Italian. On the contrary, the
8 > German language have nearly no roots in Latin and Greek.
9
10 I wasn't thinking so far back, but yes, Old English did derive from the
11 Angles, Saxons, Jutes and others. The words of theirs that we still use are
12 all the little words that no-one ever looks up in a dictionary. I'm not so
13 sure about Celtic though; I think there was very little mixing, and nowadays
14 the remains of Celtic are in Cornish, Welsh and Irish and Scottish Gaelic, not
15 English to any great degree. There ought to be a Breton language descendant of
16 Celtic in north-west France as well, and perhaps there is, but I'll have to
17 leave that to others.
18
19 Before the Normans (whose ancestors were also from Scandinavia!) the major
20 invader was the Vikings. Surprisingly, although the place is littered with
21 Viking place names, as far as I know few language words survive from that
22 period.
23
24 There are also many traces of Old German and Dutch, but I still maintain that
25 most of the longer words come down from our long and complicated relationship
26 with France, with scholastic regulation (if that's the word) according to
27 Latin and Greek.
28