From: "Holger Hoffstätte" <holger@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Latest LLVM wants to pollute my machine with VIM stuff.....
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 18:32:29
1 On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 22:33:10 +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 > I'm still trying to come to grips with understanding ebuilds so please
5 > bear with me if this is a simple question. I've just sync'd and then
6 > done an
7 >
8 > emerge --ask -NuD world
9 >
10 > I have LLVM/clang installed and upon browsing the updates saw
11 > app-vim/llvm-vim. This is some sort of syntax highlighting thingy for
12 > Vim. I don't have Vim installed so went into the llvm-4.0.0 ebuild and
13 > saw the line
14 >
15 > PDEPEND="app-vim/llvm-vim
16 >
17 > My understanding is that PDEPEND means that something, in this case
18 > llvm-vim, will be installed after the update of llvm - correct? If so, I
19 > can't see any way of "turning this off" as I don't want even more junk
20 > installed on my machine.
21 >
22 > Have I understood the ebuild correctly and it could do with a "fiddle"
23 > so that it doesn't force this install?
24
25 Yes, it could - I wondered the same thing. File an enhancement request
26 in bugzilla so that vim support can be optional via the already existing
27 "vim" USE flag.
28
29 In the meantime try:
30 $echo "app-vim/llvm-vim-9999" >> /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
31
32 This tells portage that the package is installed as version 9999, so
33 any future llvm/clang updates won't try to update it.
34
35 -h