From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT - Vidwhacker screensaver and live TV
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 23:54:46
1 I have a question about the Vidwhacker screensaver. In the comment on
2 the Settings tab for screensaver settings in Gnome, it says that
3 vidwhacker "works really well if you just feed live broadcast TV into
4 it." I'm a little confused on how to set this up. I have a TV card
5 installed, and MythTV works great. My TV-in device is /dev/v4l/video0.
6 When I specify this in the image directory text box, I get an error from
7 xscreensaver when I ask to preview Vidwhacker, saying the directory
8 doesn't exist. I go back to the text box and change the value
9 to /dev/v4l and preview again. Now it tells me that there are no files
10 in /dev/v4l. Here's an ls of /dev/v4l:
11
12 michael@camille ~ $ ls -l /dev/v4l
13 total 0
14 crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 64 Jun 1 13:07 radio0
15 crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 224 Jun 1 13:07 vbi0
16 crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 0 Jun 1 13:07 video0
17 crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 24 Jun 1 13:07 video24
18 crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 32 Jun 1 13:07 video32
19
20 Am I setting this up wrong? I just think it would be cool to have the
21 currently selected TV channel as my screensaver. If this can't be done
22 with Vidwhacker, can it be done with something else?
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list