From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network printer not being found
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 11:20:13
1 [Some snipping]
2
3 On Thursday, 29 October 2020 19:25:47 GMT Michael wrote:
4 > On Thursday, 29 October 2020 14:16:17 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > > Before my trials with booting, and eventually rebuilding everything from
6 > > the ground up, my Lexmark C2425 printer was working fine. Now the KDE
7 > > system settings printer applet can't detect it, even though pinging it
8 > > works.
9 > Is the IP address of the printer the same?
10
11 Yes.
12
13 > When you 'nmap -A -T4 -Pn -v <PRINTER_IP>' do you see open ports? It should
14 > offer 80, 443, 515, 9100, 631 depending on the protocols it uses.
15
16 It offers 21, 80, 443, 515, 631, 4000, 5001, 9100 and 9500.
17
18 > > Then when I point firefox to localhost:631 cups's behaviour has changed.
19 > > If
20 > > I click Adding Printers and Classes, instead of a dialogue to let me add a
21 > > printer I now get a help page telling me how to do it at the command line.
22 >
23 > Hmm ... something must be amiss in your setup. When I go to the
24 > Administration tab and click to add another printer the familiar cupsd GUI
25 > offers various protocols to choose from. Have you set USE="X"?
26
27 That's my fault. I didn't read the display properly. Now, seeing straight(er)
28 Find New Printers doesn't find any, and Add Printer just gives me the usual
29 manual methods of declaring the printer.
30
31 Emerge -pv gives me this:
32 net-print/cups-2.3.3-r1::gentoo USE="X acl dbus pam ssl threads usb -debug -
33 kerberos -lprng-compat (-selinux) -static-libs -systemd -xinetd -zeroconf"
34 ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"
35
36 > > Even if I do manage to add the printer, cups reports that it isn't
37 > > responding. I take this to mean I'm not using the right protocol. I've
38 > > tried IPP, IPPS, HTTP and HTTPS, following that help page.
39 >
40 > You haven't locked down the printer itself to limit which IP addresses it
41 > will allow connections from?
42
43 Not knowingly. I haven't seen anything on the printer to suggest I can do
44 that.
45
46 > Have a look here in case there is some step you've missed out:
47 >
48 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Printing
49
50 Yes, I've done that.
51
52 > Cups usually captures informative logs and you can set increased verbosity
53 > for more detail. What do these logs report?
54
55 Ah! I think it's a pam problem: permission denied. I am in the lp group
56 though. Do I also need to be in the lpadmin group? I never have been before.
59 Regards,
60 Peter.