From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/motd and /etc/issue just error out....
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 04:03:52
1 On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > On Thursday 08 July 2010 21:25:03 David W Noon wrote:
4 > > >Is sshd configured to use login, or to do all that itself?
5 > > >/etc/issue doesn't show up on console logins, it is for ancient stuff
6 > > >like telnet and rlogin, never for console login.
7 > >
8 > > I thought /etc/issue was for the *getty programs to emit a pre-login
9 > > greeting/warning/whatever, and was unrelated to login.
10 >
11 > Yes, you are right. The one for network logins is /etc/netissue or
12 > issue-net
13 > or some such.
14 >
15 > It's been years since I went anywhere near that stuff, and wetware RAM is
16 > notoriously bad ;-)
19 Well, I mostly wanted to make the stuff work, then sort out which piece was
20 which.
21 I have only 3 kinds of login: consoles (Ctl-Alt-F1, etc), ssh logins, and
22 window manager
23 logins. For the window manager, I imagine I'm stuck with tweaking
24 /etc/profile, or some
25 such, depending on the shell (always bash on this machine).
26
27 It just seemed perverse that the one way I found to make them work also
28 makes something
29 emit error messages. Grrrrrrr.
32 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD