From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New mobo change
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 09:18:24
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > Dale wrote:
7 > Update. I did some googling and found out that I have to add "
8 > iommu=pt" to the kernel command line. When I do that, it works fine.
9 > It seems that this mobo doesn't play
10 > well with 64 bit Linux. Some even
11 > said it appears to be a windoze only mobo. So, my question is this. I
12 > just spent $120 on a mobo that it appears it doesn't work up to its full
13 > value. Should I swap this mobo for another board, brand to most likely,
14 > and be done with it? I like my last Gigabyte mobo but if this one isn't
15 > going to support what I use, maybe I need to rethink this selection.
16 >
17 > What are the thoughts of some mobo gurus? I bought it from newegg so
18 > return shouldn't be to big of a issue if I get this started pretty
19 > soon. I'll check for BIOS updates but the posts I found said it didn't
20 > help a bit.
21 >
22 > Thoughts?
23 >
24 > Dale
25 >
26 > :-) :-)
29 > Of the general consensus is that it is a ms windows only board. Then I
30 > would return it.
31 >
32 > I have had good experiences with ASUS and Tyan boards. The latter are
33 > more expensive, but Tyan does officially support Linux. (The Linux
34 > driver section is as easy to find as the ms windows driver section.)
35 >
36 > --
37 > Joost
38 > --
39 > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
40
41 I have heard good things about both brands. If I end up switching,
42 those two are certainly options I like. I don't caare about the flashy
43 stuff, I just want solid performance with years of service. Save all
44 the fancy/flashy stuff for those that like a light show. I just want
45 one that works very well with Linux. I could care less about windoze.
46 None of my rigs will ever see windoze. lol
47
48 Thanks for the opinion and recommendation as well.
49
50 Dale
51
55 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!