From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New mobo change
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 05:52:33
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >Dale wrote:
3 >> William Kenworthy wrote:
4 >>> On 21/10/13 11:09, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> I rebooted and the newest sysrescue still wouldn't boot up. It
6 >says it
7 >>>> can't find /sysrcd.dat which I think is caused because it can't use
8 >the
9 >>>> USB port that the sysrescue stick is plugged into. So, I booted
10 >Knoppix
11 >>>> instead from DVD. Success. I got a list of drivers from lspci and
12 >plan
13 >>>> to research them and see if I am missing something. If not, I may
14 >just
15 >>>> start with a fresh config and see if that helps.
16 >>>>
17 >>>> At least the mobo is working tho. That's a good thing. It's a
18 >start at
19 >>>> least.
20 >>>>
21 >>>> Dale
22 >>>>
23 >>>> :-) :-)
24 >>>>
25 >>> Ive found that with gentoo/sysrescuecd before - the other distros do
26 >a
27 >>> better job of detection - I have a dell system here that wont work
28 >on
29 >>> SRD for instance. But after using ubuntu to find what was missing,
30 >its
31 >>> running gentoo fine.
32 >>>
33 >>> Billk
34 >>>
35 >>>
36 >>>
37 >>>
38 >> Well, I have enabled everything I could find from the Knoppix test
39 >and
40 >> it still does not work. I'm likely going to just try to config a
41 >kernel
42 >> from scratch later on. That or go back to the one from my old mobo
43 >and
44 >> just change the chipset. See if that works.
45 >>
46 >> Thanks for the help. I'll post updates when I can. I may be pretty
47 >> busy for a few days. Could be a bit.
48 >>
49 >> Dale
50 >>
51 >> :-) :-)
54 >Update. I did some googling and found out that I have to add "
55 >iommu=pt" to the kernel command line. When I do that, it works fine.
56 >It seems that this mobo doesn't play well with 64 bit Linux. Some even
57 >said it appears to be a windoze only mobo. So, my question is this. I
58 >just spent $120 on a mobo that it appears it doesn't work up to its
59 >full
60 >value. Should I swap this mobo for another board, brand to most
61 >likely,
62 >and be done with it? I like my last Gigabyte mobo but if this one
63 >isn't
64 >going to support what I use, maybe I need to rethink this selection.
65 >
66 >What are the thoughts of some mobo gurus? I bought it from newegg so
67 >return shouldn't be to big of a issue if I get this started pretty
68 >soon. I'll check for BIOS updates but the posts I found said it didn't
69 >help a bit.
70 >
71 >Thoughts?
72 >
73 >Dale
74 >
75 >:-) :-)
76 >
77 >--
78 >I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood
79 >or how you interpreted my words!
80
81 Of the general consensus is that it is a ms windows only board. Then I would return it.
82
83 I have had good experiences with ASUS and Tyan boards. The latter are more expensive, but Tyan does officially support Linux. (The Linux driver section is as easy to find as the ms windows driver section.)
86 Joost
87 --
88 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.