From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New mobo change
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 04:27:12
1 Dale wrote:
2 > William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >> On 21/10/13 11:09, Dale wrote:
4 >>> I rebooted and the newest sysrescue still wouldn't boot up. It says it
5 >>> can't find /sysrcd.dat which I think is caused because it can't use the
6 >>> USB port that the sysrescue stick is plugged into. So, I booted Knoppix
7 >>> instead from DVD. Success. I got a list of drivers from lspci and plan
8 >>> to research them and see if I am missing something. If not, I may just
9 >>> start with a fresh config and see if that helps.
10 >>>
11 >>> At least the mobo is working tho. That's a good thing. It's a start at
12 >>> least.
13 >>>
14 >>> Dale
15 >>>
16 >>> :-) :-)
17 >>>
18 >> Ive found that with gentoo/sysrescuecd before - the other distros do a
19 >> better job of detection - I have a dell system here that wont work on
20 >> SRD for instance. But after using ubuntu to find what was missing, its
21 >> running gentoo fine.
22 >>
23 >> Billk
28 > Well, I have enabled everything I could find from the Knoppix test and
29 > it still does not work. I'm likely going to just try to config a kernel
30 > from scratch later on. That or go back to the one from my old mobo and
31 > just change the chipset. See if that works.
32 >
33 > Thanks for the help. I'll post updates when I can. I may be pretty
34 > busy for a few days. Could be a bit.
35 >
36 > Dale
37 >
38 > :-) :-)
41 Update. I did some googling and found out that I have to add "
42 iommu=pt" to the kernel command line. When I do that, it works fine.
43 It seems that this mobo doesn't play well with 64 bit Linux. Some even
44 said it appears to be a windoze only mobo. So, my question is this. I
45 just spent $120 on a mobo that it appears it doesn't work up to its full
46 value. Should I swap this mobo for another board, brand to most likely,
47 and be done with it? I like my last Gigabyte mobo but if this one isn't
48 going to support what I use, maybe I need to rethink this selection.
49
50 What are the thoughts of some mobo gurus? I bought it from newegg so
51 return shouldn't be to big of a issue if I get this started pretty
52 soon. I'll check for BIOS updates but the posts I found said it didn't
53 help a bit.
54
55 Thoughts?
56
57 Dale
58
62 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!