From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Epic list of total FAIL.
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 22:39:43
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 06:28:45PM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Alan Grimes wrote:
5 >>> The PSU is an Antec EarthWatts 750.
6 >>>
7 >>> Biggest hoggs outside the motherboard are the, um, er, well [nvidia 980
8 >>> gpu] and an aging Western Digital Velociraptor boot drive. There is also
9 >>> a 3TB drive for all my p***, er kerbals ( Kerbal Space Program ) .
10 >> It just means your P/S is running at half power most of the time.
11 > Which may be a good idea, since then it’d be running at optimum efficiency.
14 Yep. I would not buy a P/S that didn't have at least 30 or 40% of
15 headroom. If nothing else, as the P/S ages, it wouldn't be so stressed
16 on those older components. Also, I would only do that if I know I won't
17 ever add to that rig. I usually aim for half load or even a little
18 less. I almost always end up adding something or upgrading something
19 before I retire a system.
23 >> On my current P/S, it is a 650 watt unit. According to my UPS, my entire
24 >> computer system pulls about 150 watts idle and about 160 to 170 when
25 >> compiling the crap out of something like GCC, Libreoffice etc. Now that
26 >> includes my monitor, router, modem and speakers. If I were to guess, the
27 >> puter itself only pulls around 100 to 120 watts.
28 > Getting OT here:
29 > Didn’t you say (waay back) that you run AMD? Because in that case those
30 > numbers don’t add up (they also don’t for a medium-range intel). 120 W @
31 > idle (which in itself is a lot) and then only 30-ish more for full CPU load?
34 I got those numbers from the UPS. Just for giggles, I disconnected my
35 A/C, plugged the UPS into that plug and measured them with a clamp on
36 meter at the breaker box. Doing the math, I got about the same numbers
37 as the UPS gives me. The difference might run a night light, maybe.
38 The most I have ever seen this system pull is about 200 watts. I think
39 I was printing and doing some updates at the same time. I remember
40 thinking about that being the biggest load I ever seen. Oh, my A/C is
41 on a dedicated circuit. Nothing else is on that line. The plug the UPS
42 usually plugs into only has my TV and some lights on it.
43
44 From the UPS and confirmed by a clamp on meter just in the past few
45 minutes.
46
47 Idle: 146 watts
48 Load, well into a gcc compile with all four cores running at close to
49 100% and drive activity: 186 watts
50
51 Keep in mind, my A/C is off and it's warming up here. If I listen
52 close, I can tell the fans are spinning a bit faster. Of course, it's
53 hard to hear those huge fans. That HAF-932 is quiet but still moves a
54 lot of air.
57 >> My power supply has some overkill issues
58 >> for sure. I could likely easily use a 300 watt unit but would likely
59 >> replace with a 400 watt since they are more available. Technically, I
60 >> could use a 200 watt if the power supply was a well built model.
61 > If only such models were actually available. The lowest value you can get in
62 > a reasonable-quality build is 300 W, which is far too much for silent, small
63 > home PCs for simple usess like office or media centre. Such mini systems
64 > barely reach 20 W. Even at full load they won’t get past 60 or 70 W. This is
65 > just at the start of the 80+ efficiency range wich begins at 20%.
68 That was my point. Most P/Ss that are that size or smaller than that
69 are either old or junky made. Basically, something I would not buy or
70 recommend. Finding a quality P/S that is 350 or less would be
71 difficult. I don't recall seeing any in a long while, not that I have
72 actually tried to find one tho.
73
74 Keep in mind, I didn't build this system to be green. When I first
75 built this thing, I figured it would pull at least double what it
76 actually does if not much more. My old rig pulled about 400 watts I
77 think and it is nothing compared to the speed this rig has. While
78 having more processing power, it sure doesn't use more energy.
79
80 Dale
81