From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Epic list of total FAIL.
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 20:43:23
1 On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 06:28:45PM -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Alan Grimes wrote:
4 > > The PSU is an Antec EarthWatts 750.
5 > >
6 > > Biggest hoggs outside the motherboard are the, um, er, well [nvidia 980
7 > > gpu] and an aging Western Digital Velociraptor boot drive. There is also
8 > > a 3TB drive for all my p***, er kerbals ( Kerbal Space Program ) .
9
10 > It just means your P/S is running at half power most of the time.
11
12 Which may be a good idea, since then it’d be running at optimum efficiency.
13
14 > On my current P/S, it is a 650 watt unit. According to my UPS, my entire
15 > computer system pulls about 150 watts idle and about 160 to 170 when
16 > compiling the crap out of something like GCC, Libreoffice etc. Now that
17 > includes my monitor, router, modem and speakers. If I were to guess, the
18 > puter itself only pulls around 100 to 120 watts.
19
20 Getting OT here:
21 Didn’t you say (waay back) that you run AMD? Because in that case those
22 numbers don’t add up (they also don’t for a medium-range intel). 120 W @
23 idle (which in itself is a lot) and then only 30-ish more for full CPU load?
24
25 > My power supply has some overkill issues
26 > for sure. I could likely easily use a 300 watt unit but would likely
27 > replace with a 400 watt since they are more available. Technically, I
28 > could use a 200 watt if the power supply was a well built model.
29
30 If only such models were actually available. The lowest value you can get in
31 a reasonable-quality build is 300 W, which is far too much for silent, small
32 home PCs for simple usess like office or media centre. Such mini systems
33 barely reach 20 W. Even at full load they won’t get past 60 or 70 W. This is
34 just at the start of the 80+ efficiency range wich begins at 20%.
37 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
38 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
39
40 The problem with Perl jokes is that only the teller understands them.