From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] initial compile time
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 18:55:38
1 On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 2:37 PM, allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 28 2017, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> I forgot to mention there are things that /significantly/ improve
5 >> compile times. Top of the list is /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs.
6 >
7 > Does this mean that, if the build fails, you build again not on tmpfs so
8 > as to capture build.log?
11 Just copy the build log off the tmpfs. Portage doesn't remove it
12 automatically. Unless you reboot the system before inspecting it the
13 file will still be there unless you have a really overzealous
14 tmpreaper.
15
16 (Or if you're doing the build in a systemd unit. I actually build
17 binary packages overnight from a unit and was always puzzled about why
18 the build was gone from /var/tmp/portage when I'd inspect errors.
19 Then I realize the default is for units to have a private /var/tmp -
20 so it was gone when the unit terminated. That can of course be
21 disabled.)
26 Rich