From: mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] initial compile time
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 20:31:56
1 good tip, thanks.
4 The Power Of the People Is Stronger Than The People In Charge.
7 28. Aug 2017 12:55 by rich0@g.o:
10 > On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 2:37 PM, allan gottlieb <> gottlieb@×××.edu> > wrote:
11 >> On Mon, Aug 28 2017, Alan McKinnon wrote:
12 >>
13 >>> I forgot to mention there are things that /significantly/ improve
14 >>> compile times. Top of the list is /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs.
15 >>
16 >> Does this mean that, if the build fails, you build again not on tmpfs so
17 >> as to capture build.log?
20 > Just copy the build log off the tmpfs. Portage doesn't remove it
21 > automatically. Unless you reboot the system before inspecting it the
22 > file will still be there unless you have a really overzealous
23 > tmpreaper.
24 >
25 > (Or if you're doing the build in a systemd unit. I actually build
26 > binary packages overnight from a unit and was always puzzled about why
27 > the build was gone from /var/tmp/portage when I'd inspect errors.
28 > Then I realize the default is for units to have a private /var/tmp -
29 > so it was gone when the unit terminated. That can of course be
30 > disabled.)
34 > --
35 > Rich