From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems setting up sshd on an installation kernel
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 21:32:26
1 On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 02:48:36PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote
3 >> Hi, folks!
4 >>
5 >> I'm trying to get sshd working on an embryonic Gentoo installation on my
6 >> laptop.  The reason is that I want to ssh from my nice comfy desktop
7 >> system into this laptop to do the rest of the installation stuff.
8 >>
9 >> The installation kernel with which I'm having problems is:
10 >> Linux livecd 2.6.30-gentoo-r8 #1 SMP Tue Nov 3 11:40:51 UTC 2009.
11 >>
12 >> Having started sshd on my laptop, when I do
13 >>
14 >>     ssh -lroot 192.168.2.101
15 >>
16 >> from my desktop, I get prompted for my ssh key's pass phrase, which I
17 >> enter.  Thereafter, nothing happens, and it continues to happen for a
18 >> long, long time.
19 >
20 >  Has your install gotten to the stage where you can chroot and emerge
21 > and unmerge.  If so, I would suggest the following...
22 >  1) unmerge pam.  *DO NOT LOGOUT OR REBOOT*
23 >  2) put the line
24 > sys-libs/pam
25 >     in /etc/portage/package.mask Create the file if it doesn't exist.
26 >  3) emerge shadow *BEFORE YOU LOG OUT OR REBOOT*.
27 >
28 >  Pam is an extra-high-security option that makes sense on a public
29 > server with lots of people being able to log in.  On a personal laptop
30 > it is overkill.  There was a comedy album once that was called...
31 > "Everything You Know Is Wrong".  That describes Pam.  The security
32 > settings for various services are in totally different files and
33 > locations than normal.
34 >
35 >  Are you still booting from the install CD? The way you are running
36 > sshd is not how the install manual suggests to do it.  The webpage...
37 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=2
38 > shows that you can pass the kernel options...
39 >
40 > dosshd passwd=temppassword
41 >
42 > at bootup, where "temppassword" is a temporary password.  This allows
43 > you to log in by typing the temporary password.
44 >
45 > --
46 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
47
48 None of which would affect (failing) pty allocation... while I share
49 the disdain for PAM, it doesn't likely do a whole lot to fix the
50 problem at hand.
53 Poison [BLX]
54 Joshua M. Murphy