From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fonts in Firefox-bin
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 23:01:20
1 On 11/11/05, Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 11/11/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > > In an regular email I get from Apple a number of characters show up
5 > > as little boxes that say "00 93" and "00 94". In the following quote
6 > > the quotes at 'launching' and the quote at the end are bad until I
7 > > paste it into GMail which seems to take care of it. The two quotes at
8 > > the beginning are fine.
9 > >
10 > > In "Hands-on with Aperture," David Schloss (pdnonline) offers a fairly
11 > > detailed overview of the application Apple expects to ship later this
12 > > month. Aperture, says Schloss, is "launching out of the gate with more
13 > > features and functionality than anything else to date. With Aperture,
14 > > Apple has the ability to bring a whole new level of sophistication to
15 > > the post-production market place."
16 > >
17 > > 1) This is a font issue, right?
18 > >
19 > > 2) If so, how do I determine what Apple's HTML is looking for?
20 > >
21 > > 3) Generally, what fonts do folks load to get the best results on this
22 > stuff?
23 > >
24 > > Thanks,
25 > > Mark
28 > I ran into this same issue only for me it was with Asian characters. I
29 > re-compiled X with the cjk (multi-byte characters) use flag and everything
30 > works perfectly now. I would try that first (even though re-compiling X is a
31 > long painful process).
32 >
33 > -Mike
34
35 Hi Mike,
36 Tried it but no success. I'm still getting the little 2 character things.
37
38 Here's how I did the xorg emerge. I wonder about the font server?
39 Did you emerge with that option?
40
41 lightning ~ # emerge -pv xorg-x11
42
43 These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
44
45 Calculating dependencies ...done!
46 [ebuild R ] x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6 (-3dfx) (-3dnow)
47 +bitmap-fonts +cjk -debug -dlloader -dmx -doc -font-server
48 -insecure-drivers +ipv6 -minimal (-mmx) +nls -nocxx +opengl +pam -sdk
49 (-sse) -static +truetype-fonts +type1-fonts (-uclibc) -xprint +xv 0 kB
50
51 Total size of downloads: 0 kB
52 lightning ~ #
55 Thanks,