From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Sat, 03 May 2014 11:06:08
1 On Saturday, May 03, 2014 12:56:11 PM Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 03.05.2014 12:49, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
3 > > Interesting.
4 > > In your other email you mentioned you can access the LVM volumes using a
5 > > rescue-cd.
6 > > Are there any snapshots in there? Or did you do any recent changes to the
7 > > LVs? I am wondering if there might be an issue with the metadata causing
8 > > issues.
9 > >
10 > > Did you change any of the following packages recently:
11 > > kernel
12 > > lvm-utils
13 > > (or any of the libs used by lvm)
14 > >
15 > > Did you try re-emerging lvm?
16 >
17 > Sure. I spent the night doing this on a second box here ... same
18 > problems ...
19 >
20 > Kernel 3.14.2 lately ... but when I chose an older one from grub2 it
21 > leads to the same waiting system.
22 >
23 > to explain a bit more:
24 >
25 > the desktop here boots from an SSD, no RAID or LVM for the main OS.
26 >
27 > The VGs/LVs are on mdadm-mirrors and contain data only, nothing crucial
28 > for booting.
29
30 Ok, but as it's part of the system, something is waiting for it.
31
32 > Many moving parts: dracut, kernel, lvm2, mdadm(?), systemd ...
33
34 dracut = initramfs
35 Did you update the initramfs recently? If out-of-sync with what is on the
36 "main" environment, it could lead to issues.
37
38 > I worked with exactly this box around 10hrs ago and it booted fine then.
39 > I will check genlop what I upgraded at night ...
40
41 And rethink everything you did in the last 10 hours. Something caused an
42 issue.
43 Also, check that the disks are fine and you don't have a degraded raid-
44 environment. The initramfs might try to have it rebuild. Which means the whole
45 system can be slow.
46
47 > Got to eat now and take a rest ... I "love" to fix issues on a saturday
48
49 Enjoy your lunch, I just had mine.
52 Joost