From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Missing line-drawing characters on re-install
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 13:05:47
1 On Friday, 30 December 2022 04:08:51 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I'm b-a-a-a-a-ck... on my regular desktop. I re-installed with
3 > unicode enabled and locale corrected. Some rough edges, specifically no
4 > line-drawing characters. See attached image. Mutt is supposed to have
5 > horizontal lines from right after the ")" up to the ">". Similarly mc
6 > is supposed to have vertical and horizontal line drawing characters
7 > separating and surrounding the two panels. I can use "mc -a" to get a
8 > decent emulation with "+", "_", and "|" in place of line-drawing
9 > characters. Similarly mutt has the "set ascii_chars" option to get an
10 > ugly version of line-threading. Since this problem shows up on more
11 > than one app, I assume that it's a general system problem. Any ideas on
12 > how to get real line-drawing characters back?
13
14 I can't recall what else you have eliminated as the cause of this rendering
15 problem. Have you checked:
16
17 1. VT console.
18 2. Different terminal (urxvt, xterm, gnome terminal, konsole, etc.).
19 3. Different DE/Window Manager.
20
21 Also may be worth trying Wayland as opposed to Xorg, in case the video card
22 driver likes one more than the other.