From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fw: updating /etc/package.accept_keywords
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 06:03:41
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 30 May 2019 06:28:41 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> This is good advice.  I sometimes look to see if there is anything
5 >> important to the changes.  Most of the time, it is mostly the date or
6 >> something at the top, sometimes it even detects that and just does it
7 >> itself.  Thing is, sometimes I just don't have time to wade through a
8 >> somewhat large file with a lot of changes that may not be important or
9 >> even worse, will change settings I made back to defaults that don't
10 >> work.  Some files I let sit until I can figure out if I need them
11 >> updated or not.  I'm fond of the zap new button.
12 > A tool that shows just the differences, like cfg-update or conf-update,
13 > makes this easier.
16 Installed both.  Couldn't figure out conf-update, sort of like
17 dispatch-conf.  I liked cfg-update but got lost.  It opened a window
18 that had these nifty arrows that moved things from one to the other.  I
19 prefer moving entries I want to keep to the new file and was able to
20 figure out how to do that.  Where I got lost, what do I do to save it
21 and tell it to use the new file?  I didn't see anything in the graphical
22 part and couldn't figure out how to view the new file before accepting
23 it when I got back to conf-update.  Other than that, I like the tool and
24 would like to use it.
27 >> A prime example, KDE config files.  I have my desktop set up like I like
28 >> it.  If I update the config file, it usually sets it back to the
29 >> default.  That's one I like to spend time on if I update it.  Another is
30 >> my network configs.  Some settings are done differently and won't work
31 >> if I use the updated file or it resets to default.
32 > KDE config files shouldn't be in CONFIG_PROTECTed directories, it's
33 > generally configured at user level.
34
35 It hasn't done it in a while but it used to clobber that thing on a
36 regular basis.  Either way, that and a couple other file taught me to be
37 careful with those updates.
38
39 Dale
40