From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fw: updating /etc/package.accept_keywords
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 17:15:56
1 On Thu, 30 May 2019 06:28:41 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > This is good advice.  I sometimes look to see if there is anything
4 > important to the changes.  Most of the time, it is mostly the date or
5 > something at the top, sometimes it even detects that and just does it
6 > itself.  Thing is, sometimes I just don't have time to wade through a
7 > somewhat large file with a lot of changes that may not be important or
8 > even worse, will change settings I made back to defaults that don't
9 > work.  Some files I let sit until I can figure out if I need them
10 > updated or not.  I'm fond of the zap new button.
11
12 A tool that shows just the differences, like cfg-update or conf-update,
13 makes this easier.
14
15 > A prime example, KDE config files.  I have my desktop set up like I like
16 > it.  If I update the config file, it usually sets it back to the
17 > default.  That's one I like to spend time on if I update it.  Another is
18 > my network configs.  Some settings are done differently and won't work
19 > if I use the updated file or it resets to default.
20
21 KDE config files shouldn't be in CONFIG_PROTECTed directories, it's
22 generally configured at user level.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Octal: (n.) a base-8 counting system designed so that one hand may count
29 upon the fingers of the other. Thumbs are not used, and the index finger
30 is reserved for the 'carry.'