From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fw: updating /etc/package.accept_keywords
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 11:28:53
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, 29 May 2019 23:23:58 BST Dale wrote:
3 >> n952162@×××.de wrote:
4 >>> And, what are the consequences that I'm suffering, that I haven't done
5 >>> that before, for over a year?>
6 >>>> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 29. Mai 2019 um 23:55 Uhr
7 >>>> Von: n952162@×××.de
8 >>>> An: gentoo-user@l.g.o
9 >>>> Betreff: updating /etc/package.accept_keywords
10 >>>>
11 >>>> I have many files like ._cfg0000_package.accept_keywords.
12 >>>> Is the right way to handle this to do something like:
13 >>>>
14 >>>> sort -u ._cfg????_package.accept_keywords >| package.accept_keywords
15 >> Look into etc-update, dispatch-conf and other commands that help with
16 >> updating those. I admit, I'm bad to let them sit to because I usually
17 >> manually update important stuff. I don't wait that long tho. Keep in
18 >> mind, there is a small chance that a bad config could result in
19 >> something not working when you reboot or not being able to completely
20 >> boot at all. It depends on what files are not updated.
21 >>
22 >> Hope that helps.
23 >>
24 >> Dale
25 >>
26 >> :-) :-)
27 > I always run etc-update or dispatch-conf to see what the changes in default
28 > config files may be and invariably accept or merge the changes with my version
29 > of the config files each time. If I am in a rush and the changes are not
30 > trivial, I will leave this for a day in the near future and avoid restarting
31 > the service affected. However, I would not leave a remote server in this
32 > state in case an unintended reboot causes some critical service to fail to
33 > restart, e.g. network, sshd, etc.
37 This is good advice.  I sometimes look to see if there is anything
38 important to the changes.  Most of the time, it is mostly the date or
39 something at the top, sometimes it even detects that and just does it
40 itself.  Thing is, sometimes I just don't have time to wade through a
41 somewhat large file with a lot of changes that may not be important or
42 even worse, will change settings I made back to defaults that don't
43 work.  Some files I let sit until I can figure out if I need them
44 updated or not.  I'm fond of the zap new button.
45
46 A prime example, KDE config files.  I have my desktop set up like I like
47 it.  If I update the config file, it usually sets it back to the
48 default.  That's one I like to spend time on if I update it.  Another is
49 my network configs.  Some settings are done differently and won't work
50 if I use the updated file or it resets to default.
51
52 I use the dispatch one because it is better.  No matter what I attempt
53 tho, I can not figure out how to use that dang merge thing.  I wish
54 there was a GUI tool to do this.  Maybe that would help.  Of course,
55 someone will likely post that there is a GUI tool and then I'll wonder
56 how I missed it.  ROFL  You can bet I'd use it tho.
57
58 On a remote server, yea, it is certainly best to finish the entire
59 update process before stopping.  That could be bad.
60
61 Dale
62