From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fw: updating /etc/package.accept_keywords
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 10:14:07
1 On Wednesday, 29 May 2019 23:23:58 BST Dale wrote:
2 > n952162@×××.de wrote:
3 > > And, what are the consequences that I'm suffering, that I haven't done
4 > > that before, for over a year?>
5 > >> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 29. Mai 2019 um 23:55 Uhr
6 > >> Von: n952162@×××.de
7 > >> An: gentoo-user@l.g.o
8 > >> Betreff: updating /etc/package.accept_keywords
9 > >>
10 > >> I have many files like ._cfg0000_package.accept_keywords.
11 > >> Is the right way to handle this to do something like:
12 > >>
13 > >> sort -u ._cfg????_package.accept_keywords >| package.accept_keywords
14 >
15 > Look into etc-update, dispatch-conf and other commands that help with
16 > updating those. I admit, I'm bad to let them sit to because I usually
17 > manually update important stuff. I don't wait that long tho. Keep in
18 > mind, there is a small chance that a bad config could result in
19 > something not working when you reboot or not being able to completely
20 > boot at all. It depends on what files are not updated.
21 >
22 > Hope that helps.
23 >
24 > Dale
25 >
26 > :-) :-)
27
28 I always run etc-update or dispatch-conf to see what the changes in default
29 config files may be and invariably accept or merge the changes with my version
30 of the config files each time. If I am in a rush and the changes are not
31 trivial, I will leave this for a day in the near future and avoid restarting
32 the service affected. However, I would not leave a remote server in this
33 state in case an unintended reboot causes some critical service to fail to
34 restart, e.g. network, sshd, etc.
37 Regards,
38 Mick