From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video)
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 19:56:07
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 20:14 on Sunday 15 May 2011, Neil Bothwick did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > On Sat, 14 May 2011 22:55:49 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > > Except when 260+ packages need updating as it happened with the last
6 > > > KDE upgrade. I had a cursory look, but I missed some USE flag changes
7 > > > (scanner, rdesktop and vnc I think) which started removing packages
8 > > > and libraries. Other flag changes may well have added packages that I
9 > > > didn't need, but didn't have the time to go through the lot at the
10 > > > time.
11 > >
12 > > Is your emerge output colorized?
13 > >
14 > > USE flag changes show up in green and the status indicators inside
15 > > [ebuild ] at the start of lines are in yellow. It's a huge gain being
16 > > able to pick out the few new things that really stand out that way.
17 >
18 > It also helps if you don't use -v, as then the only USE flags shown are
19 > changes.
20
21 I got out of that habit as I found without -v I'd more often than not ask
22 myself "I wonder what other flags are used for this package, and do I need to
23 tweak them?"
24
25 I call it prudence. My gf says it's me being bloody OCD again :-)
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com